The Order’s annual fundraising campaign for 2022 is dedicated towards raising monetary assistance for the support of the native Arab Orthodox Christian population in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
On May 16th His Most Excellency Grand Knight Konstantine held a meeting with His Eminence Archbishop Christophoros Attallah the ruling Orthodox bishop in Jordan. In this meeting His Eminence expressed on behalf of his archdioceses and the Kingdom of Jordan their sincere thanks that our Order had chosen to assist them for our 2022 annual philanthropic mission.
His Eminence was very forthright in what he wishes the Order to focus on:
1. His Eminence would like the Order to focus on the Orthodox Christian youth of the Kingdom of Jordan. This in itself is broken down into three categories:
- The Orthodox Center a first of its kind facility in the Middle East to host the Orthodox Christian youth of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the Orthodox Christian youth of surrounding countries. The Orthodox Center will have a conference center, lodging area and Church attached. This will also be a place for the Patriarchate of Jerusalem to host meetings between the Orthodox Churches and hold interfaith gatherings when needed.
- The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Amman has 19 parochial schools serving over 4,000 students between kindergarten and High School ages. These schools support a work force of 600 employees. His Eminence would like the Order of Saint George the Great Martyr to help raise funds to help offset the expense that would otherwise be the responsibility of the students’ parents (such as tuition and uniforms). His Eminence also asked if the Order could help advocate and raise funds for the creation of two more schools within the next coming months.
- His Eminence would like the Order to help offset tuition expenses for those Jordanian Orthodox Christians wanting to attend University in the Kingdom of Jordan. It is important for us to remember that the youth in Jordan as are the future of the Christian presence in Jordan and in the Greater Middle East. To lose them to the West for education would be a huge loss to the cultural identity of Jordan and the Middle East as a whole.
2. His Eminence would like the Order to advocate and raise funds for the establishment of a new Church and Monastery adjacent to the ruins of a 5th and 6th century church with early Christian Byzantine mosaic floors near the ancient site of Mar Elias. The ancient churches are dedicated to the Prophet Elias who was bodily assumed into heaven on a chariot of fire. The Archdiocese bought the land surrounding the archeological site for the purposes of building a new church and monastery dedicated to this prophet of old. The ruins are a shared responsibility between the Orthodox Church in Jordan and the Jordanian Ministry of Antiquity.
The Grand Knight had informed His Eminence that the Order would do its best to assist them in the projects above but could not guarantee any particular amount. To date the Order has raised $10,000.00 towards this mission.
Please keep His Eminence Archbishop Christophoros Attallah, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Amman and Orthodox youth of the Kingdom of Jordan in your prayers.
Donations can be made through the donate button on this webpage. Please write in the description/purpose of your donation as being: “2022 Philanthropic Mission” so that we can appropriately allocate it to this urgent cause.
All donations for the annual philanthropic mission go 100% directly to that purpose. The Order retains nothing.